Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fuggedaboutit

The "Abide Guide", in its chapter "Great Dudes in History" mentions Heraclitus and Eipicurius to be part of those. The Abiding Lesson on page 86 says:

Or as the Dude would say: “Life’s too short, man. You can’t worry about that shit.”

And that is exactly the point: Life is to short to worry. And if you worry all the time, you have no time to enjoy. Bowling, sleeping with somebody, smoke (or not), drink other things than water and so one and so forth. We also have a lot of problems to determine what is worthwhile to worry about and what is shit.

I am always late paying my income tax. Because paying that is not on my list of priorities. So, I patiently wait quite some time before I open the tax people's letters. I have received so many in the past years, I know exactly what is written in them. And then, the tax people know that I land up paying. So, why should I worry.

I am not good a paying bills anyway. And why should I pay them immediately. There will be two to three reminders and it will be still time to pay. The rent is the only bill I pay sharp.

And I even don't worry about having money on my account. It comes every month but after a few days (having paid the bills AND some income tax) there is nothing left. I don't worry; next month there will be again.

That was on the material side. Now there are other things to worry about like health. I don't worry about it. I am healthy. My yearly checkup confirms it. I do though not care about what I eat, I smoke like hell and I am 20kg overweight. I don't go to gyms (and why should I when my muscles are so well develop, specially on the stomach side). I simply let it go.I don't worry. Why should I worry that I could get sick because of my lifestyle. Should I get sick, then there is still time to worry. But to be honest, I don't think that I will worry even then.

Other people will worry about their partner leaving them. If a relation comes to that stage, let them go. There is no use of wanting to hold them back. If they don't want you anymore, there is little you can do. The only justified "worrying" here is on how much it is going to cost you. But if you are clever, you declare private bankruptcy and then it is going to cost you nothing. And don't worry: You will find somebody else unless the word is spread that you are an obnoxious SOB.

And then people worry about their job, work and career. Just work, not to hard, you might get sick. And if you are forced to work by necessity, don't worry the day you will retire will come. With a bit of luck with some pre-retirement scheme.

I just gave some ideas about worrying. They are not complete or exhaustive.

Just don't worry about that shit

and

Just take it easy, Man

No comments:

Post a Comment